WIPpet Wednesday — birthdays and maps

I was tagged to do a My Writing Process blog post, but I’m incredibly late. I promise it’ll be up soon. I’ve had a crazy weekend!

WIPpet Wednesday is a link-up where every Wednesday, you share an excerpt from your WIP that’s somehow related to the day. My little brother turns 17 today. Since I can’t think of any birthday parties in Dissonance or Elegy, I’ll just snatch an excerpt from chapter 17. Read the other awesome entries here! Thanks to K.L. Schwengel for hosting!

In chapter 17 of Dissonance, Allie’s snooping around someone’s house, where she finds a map of a place difficult to believe in–but impossible to deny. (Every time I read this manuscript, I have to smother my inner editor. I can’t wait to have a professional editor help. But then, this novel will never be perfect to me!)

“The gray is land we lost. Red line indicates a border nobody can cross.”

“How big is it?”

“Naramea is as big as your imagination.” Julian sounded dead serious. Allie wished he was mocking her, but couldn’t be in denial anymore. Everything he told her was impossible but true. “The white is only what’s been charted.”

She finally asked the obvious question. “How do you get there?”

“There are several ways to get there. Staying is a different matter. We’re actually in Bonifay right now, but only until we leave the property.”

Allie found Bonifay on the map. “I…don’t understand.”

“I don’t expect you to yet,” he said gently. “You asked and I answered.”

She opened her mouth and then closed it again.

He ran a sleepy hand through his hair. “Allie, why don’t you come outside with me? Maybe it’ll make sense then.”

“Outside with the things?”

Julian smiled. “Even if they did bite, I wouldn’t let them hurt you.”

(She’s right in being wary to go outside. Muses have strange things in their backyards.)

21 thoughts on “WIPpet Wednesday — birthdays and maps

1. Amy July 23, 2014 / 8:08 pm

Well, now I want to know what’s outside that she’s wary of! And the map sounds interesting and mysterious.

I constantly have to turn off my inner editor. I would never get past chapter one if I didn’t. LOL!

• Mariella Hunt July 23, 2014 / 8:10 pm

If I keep listening to my inner editor, I’ll never have a book out…ever. I’m my own harshest critic. Focusing on book 2 has helped me to not tear up book 1 as much.

2. Emily Witt July 23, 2014 / 8:16 pm

Inner editors are the wooorst!

This excerpt is very intriguing, though.Sounds like Allie has a lot to get her head around,

• Mariella Hunt July 23, 2014 / 8:19 pm

and half the time, inner editors don’t know what they’re doing…but they won’t shut up!

oh, she does. I feel bad for her. ah well–the joys of being an author! mwahaha

3. Adrian July 23, 2014 / 9:26 pm

It sounds like Narnia but better! No manuscript will ever be perfect. You can only make it the best you can and then have to come to a stopping point. Editors aren’t that hard to find around here =P

• Mariella Hunt July 30, 2014 / 6:27 am

I have an amazing beta, too, who’s been through three edits. At least I’ve got that covered, haha. So glad you like it!

4. Kate Sparkes July 24, 2014 / 4:59 am

Sounds interesting! I’m so glad you’ve jumped in on WIPpet Wednesdays.

And you’re right. Your book will NEVER be perfect to you. It’s finding “close enough” that’s hard. At least you know that, and you’re getting the thing done!

• Mariella Hunt July 30, 2014 / 6:26 am

It’s never, ever going to be close enough. D: I just need to find a point where the readers like it. And with book 1 I think I managed it!

5. kathils July 24, 2014 / 5:21 am

No book is ever perfect for the author. I can always find something to pick on in things I think are finished. :)

This is a great piece. I love it. The “you asked, I answered” line is great. My only nit, if I may, “sleepy hand”. Sooooo…his hand fell asleep, or was ready to, or just woke up? ;) I know the image you’re going for, in my mind, a hand can’t be sleepy unless it’s lost circulation and fallen asleep. But that’s totally different. The gesture can be sleepy, though.

• Mariella Hunt July 24, 2014 / 6:49 am

Haha thanks! These might be useful for beta reading too! XD

6. ReGi McClain July 24, 2014 / 1:09 pm

Happy belated birthday to your brother!

That inner editor can be a pain, can’t it? I move veeeerrrry sloooowly through a WIP if I even give it a little rein.

I’m intrigued by this snippet. It reminds me of the world set up in Neverending Story, except I already like your protagonist better. :-)

• Mariella Hunt July 30, 2014 / 6:25 am

That’s good! Allie…at that point she’s very whiny, but since I destroyed 97% of her life, she has a right to be. It’s the best part about being a writer! XD

I’m so glad you liked it!

7. Eden July 24, 2014 / 5:11 pm

If you look for it, you can always find something that says “fix me” in a story. The goal is for the story catch someone’s eye before you start obsessing over that little voice. (They are rather spoiled after all…)

What a wonderful place! I mean, I can understand her hesitation, but… I’d probably be dragging Julian by the hand and saying “Come on! I want to know everything!”

• Mariella Hunt July 30, 2014 / 6:24 am

I think I did that because a lot of people seem to like the story. Except for my inner editor. But she needs to go away. *locks her in trunk*

I know! Allie, there is something seriously wrong with you…

8. Elizabeth Anne Mitchell July 24, 2014 / 8:25 pm

I have a very good inner editor, but if I let her talk during the first draft, there would never be a full paragraph, much less a book! She’s bound and gagged in the closet at the moment, so I can have some peace.

You’ve definitely piqued my interest in this piece. Outside sounds so very. . . different!

• Mariella Hunt July 30, 2014 / 6:23 am

outside can be terrifying if you don’t know what you’re doing. Allie’s really lucky she isn’t alone there…haha. I’m glad you like it! :)

9. Amelia E. Browne July 24, 2014 / 10:19 pm

This is really intriguing. I love the mystery of it. :)

10. shanjeniah July 26, 2014 / 1:47 am

Okay, color me intrigued. I’ve got to at least peek through the window, and see for myself what’s out there…

• Mariella Hunt July 30, 2014 / 6:22 am

aah! soon! I really hope I can get it all together to put the book out on December… I’m so glad you like it :D